Author Topic: "Hobbling"  (Read 1545 times)

Mutant Dock Rat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .
"Hobbling"
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »
Julie was born and brought up in Cogan at lived in Cawnpore Street with her twin sister Judith, Mum Gwen and Dad, Morgan or "Mog". I've noticed that she refers to a person who is limping as "hobbling" along. I believe that this must be a local Cogan expression which goes back to the days when coal was tipped into holds of ships and then manually trimmed by trimmers and hobblers. After shifting a hundred tons of coal manually I should think that I would be bent double and ready for my tea and a good soak in the old tin bath. The census records a number of residents of Cogan registering their profession as hobbler or trimmer. Does anyone know if my theory is true or not?

KnockJohn

• apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: "Hobbling"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
It's an interesting word "Hobbling".  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hobble gives several meanings including to walk with a limp, but also to tie or strap together.

In my own life experience - when I moved to Llanelli in the late 80s Hobbling was local slang for "odd jobbing" or "Working on the side" (especially if claiming unemployment benefit at the same time).  Many people were on the lookout for a Good Hobble in those days as Many Pits and the Steel Works had been closed.

Mutant Dock Rat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .
Re: "Hobbling"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »
That's an interesting alternative definition of "hobbling", the Welsh are so inventive! Thank you for your contributions and best wishes.

I've been "hobbling" about only a few weeks back when my doctor changed my medication and as result gave me a severe dose of gout. Not to be recommended and I've never drunk port in my life - at least not whilst sober!! I'm going to see him tomorrow. I think I'll kick his ankle and make him hobble for a while.  :)