Author Topic: Well Done on a super site.  (Read 892 times)

KnockJohn

• apprentice
    • View Profile
Well Done on a super site.
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:36 pm »
Dear Mr Carder,

After having two emails bounced back - I figured it was easier to post on the forum:

Firstly - What a wonderful website.  I have just spent several hours reading through the whole of it.  Well Done.

Secondly I have some photographs which you may enjoy.  Some are of poorer quality but probably could be PhotoShopped or cropped to make them better.
You may view them at https://www.flickr.com/photos/associateddiffusion/sets/72157624701489547/

Thirdly - some spellings etc...

Your "Croeso i Benarth dociau - Welcome to Penarth Docks" should be Croeso i Dociau Penarth.  I can see what you've done here with the mutation etc. but as Dociau is male it does not mutate and comes before the Penarth.

Navies is the plural of Navy - as in the marine branch of the armed forces; however, the word for the Dock and railway worker is navvy or navvies in plural http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navvy - I wouldn't normally bother but as these words both appear many times I believe it does need looking at.

Cwtch - meaning "cuddle" can also mean a small enclosed space ie "cwtch dan star" the cupboard under the stairs.

Hope you don't mind my corrections and that you can enjoy the photographs.

Best regards.

Matt Geldart

Mutant Dock Rat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .
Re: Well Done on a super site.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »
Dear Matt

Many thanks for your kind comments about the site.

Corrections - I will check through the spelling errors and especially the grammatical Welsh errors. I learnt Welsh at school and could speak reasonably fluently, but 40 odd years of living in Yorkshire and Mr. Treharne's hard work at Cadoxton Secondary Modern is a little blurred now.

The images are interesting and I would like to include them with your permission and of course I will assign the credit to yourself.

Also I will look into why emails bounced back. I received a notification a few hours ago about one.

Kindest regards

David

grangetown

• hobbler
    • View Profile
Re: Well Done on a super site.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Just found this site, first class, brings back many memories of the late 1950's when the mothballed fleet was in port and the subway had a minimum of working light bulbs.