Author Topic: The 1970s  (Read 1326 times)

KnockJohn

• apprentice
    • View Profile
The 1970s
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:50:37 pm »
I moved to Penarth in 1970 at the age of 4 and three years later moved to Paget Road, which had a commanding view of the docks.

As with many others - we were fobidden from going down to the docks, but nevertheless used to pop down anyway...  Here are a few recollections.

The Dock Road (Paget Road) still had large gates just below the "Triangle" allotments which I never remember seeing closed.  At one time in about 1975 a small white wooden Gateman's Box appeared which was manned.  I have no idea what this man did as no traffic ever stopped at this point.  Often we would go down to the dock beach using this road - and occasionally we'd walk along the dock and explore.

Another entry to the dock was from the Billy Banks.  I had a friend Ian Huches who lived in Prince Llewellyn Court and we often passed through a doorway in the fence which lead down to the docks.  After 1976 I remember seeing many signs warning of Danger Underground Fires.

As I grew up the docks became much quieter and made for quite an interesting plac to cycle round (and nice and flat unlike much of Penarth.

The Captain

• apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The 1970s
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:31:25 pm »
In the 70's we used to go down to the docks to see the large number of Jellyfish that lived in the waters there. It was a brief and stupid game of ours to try and drop bricks on them from the coal staithe arches. We had an old 50cc moped which we used go scrambling with on the remains of the upper level sidings (There maybe some 8mm film of this somewhere??). Other activities included pushing abandoned cars into the dock to see how long they would float for! And we had a den in the walls of the basin locks which once housed a hydraulic ram for opening and closing the gates. It was about 4ft square and 25ft long! Also vague memories of clambering about on the remains of the pontoon as well.... It was all so long ago  :-\

Mutant Dock Rat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .
Re: The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:02 pm »
I knew all the jellyfish personally by name in Penarth Dock! I mention in the website that my close friend and fellow apprentice, Bill Muir, swam in the dock in 1966 one lunchtime. We must have been crazy because there were thousands of them all around and the water was stagnant and you couldn't see your hand under water, it was that murky. I remember that we got strange looks from the other apprentices all afternoon because we smelled foul and the day was hot.

At Barry we used a welding rod attached to a long piece of string to try and catch red mullet from the stone jetty outside Hodges Engineering. We would turn a small steel ball on the lathe and drill a hole though it, then weld the ball to the welding rod which acted as a weight. The other end was ground to a sharp point and the string attached. We never did catch any mullet because they were so fast but got many jellyfish hooked on the weight.

Lovely!  ;D